Monday, November 12, 2012

Sex - Sex - Sex

I wrote Ta at the end of my previous post, getting British by the minute ey?

Although I will admit to having embraced some of the English traits (such as enjoying baked beans in tomato sauce with my fry up brekkie), there are some aspects to England and the English way that I will probably just never agree with or understand. For example:

The 'water shed' - The number of times I've turned the TV on and gotten all exited about finding a particularly good episode of a show or a movie showing only to suddenly realise that all the violence, the gory and bloody fights, the foul language and the steamy sex scenes have been CUT!!! What's the point of watching Buffy without the blood sucking vampires and fighting or Sex and The City without the Sex?? Basically, watching TV before 9 is a complete waste of time in this country. All because the parents wants to spare their kids the horrible ordeal of coming across a nipple or some blood. I wonder what they'll do when they find out about that world wide phenomenon called the Internet... Bloody do some parenting yourself and control what your kids watch and let the rest of us enjoy the TV the way it was intended- with drugs, sex and rock'n roll.

Now it's a common fact that Brits are perceived as being a bit uptight and I have to agree. For me it gets especially obvious as I'm from Sweden (where we all know that all gorgeous blond and blue-eyed girls wear nothing but a bikini while riding a polar bear through town) where sex is much more main stream. What do I base this on?

1. We have proper sex education which for my class involved watching the movie KIDS (imdb: about an amoral, ignorant HIV-positive skateboarder that sets out to deflower as many virgins as possible while a local girl who contracted his disease tries to save his next target from her same fate) featuring a lot of sex and naked bodies. This would have been an 18 rated movie in the UK and we watched it as part of sexED in the 7th grade. Really good movie that served the purpose.

2. We are more open about the female sexuality. When I was in college, a Swedish equivalent to Cosmopolitan magazine came out with this campaign called 'Masturbate more'. They produced t-shirts and everything that people (including one of my closest friends) wore proudly. They had a masturbation challenge which basically asked you to try and break your own (or others) record for how many times you could come in a day by yourself. You might think this is a bit weird but this really did a lot of good as too often we are told that women just don't touch themselves in that way. Boys on the other hand have their hand on their penis since baby time and seem to never let go and that is perfectly acceptable for people. Can you imagine such a campaign being acceptable on in the UK?? People would choke on their tea and there'd be mass protests.

3. Our state owned pharmacy received requests to introduce dildos into their stores and so they did. In between your usual pharmacy stuff such as paracetamol, nose sprays and cough medicine, you can now also find an assorted selected of dildos to help keep the flu away, awesome!

See reading this kinda makes me miss my home country a bit...but despite England's flaws in the sexuality area, I still love it. Besides, there's quite a few Swedes in this country and we'll just have to try and break down the sexual barriers one by one until even the Queen confesses to masturbating at least once a day!

By the way, decided against deleting. It had too many memories I wanted to keep!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

I want to move to Sweden! As much as I love being American, it is horrifying how lacking our sex education system is for children & teens. I understand that America's more conservative than Europe, but making sex taboo is just absurd. Heck, I think sex education might be far better in England too :)

Annie Jay said...

Sabrina is right - sex ed in the US is severely lacking. There are people that honestly believe that all we need to do is teach abstinence - seriously?? How they can really believe this is actually a valid form of sexual education is beyond me.

Post a Comment